Designed for Ageing
The UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has launched a ‘Healthy Ageing Challenge’ with Innovate UK, offering UK businesses a chance to secure a grant of up to £2million for service-led innovations to support healthy ageing.
The fund has been created to help businesses create products and services to help people as they age.
“Despite more of us living for longer and wanting to choose how to live in later life, the market for products and services which genuinely meet the needs of older people is fairly underdeveloped,” says UKRI design innovation lead Julia Glenn.
“Designing for ageing needs to think beyond comfortable shoes and stairlifts”.
Submissions for the grant will need to deliver clear, game-changing, service-led innovations designed to help people as they age, positively, actively, independently and with dignity.
The aims of this competition are to:
- address the under-provision of products and services which support people as they age to remain active, independent and socially connected
- support business-led, near-to-market innovations that have potential to scale
- enforce good people-centred design principles
- encourage applications from businesses across the UK, by working with devolved government administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Your project must:
- deliver a clear game-changing service-led innovation, that has a significant impact on ageing positively in the UK
- help people as they age, allowing them to remain active, productive, independent and socially connected for as long as possible
- narrow the gap between the experience of the richest and poorest
- conduct industrial research to develop new and applied knowledge leading to a solution at high technology and market readiness
Your proposal must:
- be delivered as a 6 month to two-year, business-led project, with a strong emphasis on people-centred design, as tested by the design stage gate review, and an ambition to scale
- identify a solution that must be sufficiently well-defined to be shaped by the initial six-month design stage gate review
Individual grants will be awarded to successful candidates in amounts between £500,000 - £2million, from a total grant pot of £14.4million.
Applications close at 11:00am on 17 November 2021.
For more information and to apply, click here.
As a leading product design agency, Design Reality can help with the application process and/or bring your product to market.
Get in touch with our team today.
Digital Marketing Manager